On Mar 22, 11:57 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> Oh puleeeze. You're claiming a dual 1.25 Ghz G4 on a 333 mHz bus can compare
> to a Mac Pro (which at a MINIMUM has 2 2.66Ghz dual core Xeons with 667 Mhz
> memory bus) with a few COMPILER TWEAKS??? (which tweaks, BTW, Apple's dev
> tools pretty much apply automatically when you select PPC as a compile target)

i never claimed any such thing!  re-read the post, bruce.  if you want
to "win" the discussion so desperately that you will resort to putting
words in my mouth, then you only underscore the weakness of your own
position.  what i said was that PPC versus intel of comparable clock
speeds was no contest.  given software well written for each, the PPC
was damned near twice as fast as the intel on real world
computationally intensive tasks.

it used to give me great pleasure to point to execution times on my 2
GHz G5 versus their 2.7 GHz pentium win/tel boxes, and shut the mouths
of the "apples are for kids" pc diehards.  and the reason is that the
PPC architecture is inherently superior to the intel architecture.
period.  the preposterous statement above came from your fevered
imagination.  the same imagination that dreamed up a dual 1.25 G4 with
a 333 MHz bus.  the only dual 1.25 i know of was the MDD/FW800 with a
166 MHz bus.

nowadays, my 3.33 GHz intel iMac running snow leopard is barely as
fast as their 3.33 GHz i7 running winbloze 7.  given the difference in
cost, it no longer makes much sense to throw money in steve jobs
coffers just so i can hang on to the familiar OSX interface.  since
the computer works for weeks without any need for user interface, the
OS is pretty irrelevant.  so i stand by my premise, PPC with Altivec
was/is vastly superior to intel crap.