At 9:41 PM +0100 12/1/2011, Mac User #330250 wrote:
Power Mac G5 (original PowerMac7,2 from 2003, Dual 2.0 GHz):

When I use Mac OS X 10.3.9 on it, everything is fine.

When I use Mac OS X 10.4.11 on it, just like with Panther.

Define "fine"

But, when I use Mac OS X 10.5.8, the fans will just start to slowly increase
rpm so that they make a lot of nose (but not the max. rpm, just a higher one),
then go down to normal.

Under what app/task load(s)?

So, how is it with a G5 and Leopard? Are there any known issues that I just
didn't find yet? Are you using your G5 Power Macs with Tiger or with Leopard?

Regardless of OS, the Power Manager should ramp up the fans based on the heat produced by the processor and peripherals.

Install a temp monitoring gizmo, such as iStat Menus and keep and eye on things...

Might the issue be fixed if I clean out the dust, which I presume must be there
after all these years (I didn't look too deep into it yet)?

Yea. Crud is one of the biggest causes of heat build-up. Just be sure you don't dislodge any cards or cables while you're vaccuuuuming & cleaning....

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.