I have similar issue with my g5 dual 2.7. I just got received the computer last
night and is my first  g5 so figured it was normal fan operation. The fan speed
goes up with something as simple as opening a web browser with nothing else
running. I'm running the same leopard version. The insides look fairly clean.
Sorry no solution for you. I got the same thing going on.

Steve