----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: MDD G4 odd start/restart behavior - new video card
Date:    Saturday, 08. December 2012
From:    "Jesse St.John" <jesselorenstj...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> […] you'll need to segregate the hard drive to its own
> power source, and no there is not route around this.
> […] it seems as though your P/S is on its
> way out as well. […]

I’ve immediately had the same thought.

My guess is that the power from the PSU—at this very molex connector—does not
provide enough power for the HDD and the graphics card on start-up. The HDD
requires a lot more power on spin-up compared to its running state, and the
graphics card may as well draw more power on start-up than when running.

Try a different molex. I ususally use the one from the optical drive for the
splitter. You may find an unused molex connector to use for the graphics card
exclusively, or—if it is too short—use the splitter only to extend it.

The second thought is that maybe the PSU itself isn’t capable of providing
enought power for all of the components. And: warmed-up components may draw
more power.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250