----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: MDD G4 odd start/restart behavior - new video card
Date:    Saturday, 08. December 2012
From:    frrob <fr...@earthlink.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> Regarding heat as the issue, I'm not so sure. According to iStat, the
> processor temps hover around 49 degrees C. I've been checking it from time
> to time, sometimes after doing more processor-intensive tasks, and I've
> never seen a temp over 50 C. It seems to me that that's an acceptable temp
> for the processor.

The processor temperature is okay. I have a 1.42 GHz MDD and its CPUs are
around 65°C all the time and it is running stable.

However, the temperature may influence how much power a specific device draws
from the PSU, and also how much power the PSU can provide. It may well be that
a component requires less power when at room temperature. Once warmed up (at a
higher than room temperature, which will very highly from component to
component) it may require more… Talking about components such as PCI cards,
and HDDs. You can also think at a very low level, like capacitors, inductors,
ICs and such…

BTW, waking from sleep (suspend to RAM) initiates a different sequence of
powering up, which is propably the reason why you don’t experience this
problem then.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250