Il giorno 10/12/12 03:41, frrob ha scritto:

> The only thing to try, as Valter, Mac User #330250, and Wayne have
> suggested, is to remove the last things - the SCSI RAID, the UL3D, and the
> USB 2.0 card, and see what happens. The thing is, even if that worked, I
> don't *want* to run the machine that way. I want my RAID, and you pretty
> much need USB 2.0.
I agree; this suggestion was not meant to make you run an "handicapped" Mac
;-) but to make absolutely sure the problem was about not enough power.
Once you knew it was that (or not), you could think about something else.

>From what you reported, anyway, I don't think the problem is lack of power.
But IMO is worth making the above check, just to be sure.

> The fact is, I ran all of the above with the stock 9000 card and an Apple
> ADC 23 inch monitor, without a hitch. For a while I even ran a 5th hard
> drive in the machine with no problems. Now that monitor draws its power
> from the machine. Wouldn't the absence of the ADC monitor drawing power be
> some sort of compensation for the power needs of the 9800?
Yes and no. A 23" monitor should draw around 40W; the 9800 obviously needs
more.

> The 9800 must be some kind of monster power hog
>From what I gathered on the Net, it should draw around 75W under normal
conditions (maybe more when running 3D intensive applications).

> It seems as though the MDD really *likes* having an ADC monitor connected
> to it.
Maybe something got "stuck" in the power mangement unit.
Did you try to reset the PMU? ( Power Management Unit)
See Apple's page:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939

(knock on wood, it might have something to do with the 9800 issue as well;
worth a try)