On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Don Wakefield <dtp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, so I have finally accepted that my eMac has outlived it's usefulness and
> needs to be retired. My question is what to replace it with?
>
> Cost is a big consideration, so I am probably limited to a core 2 duo iMac or
> Mac Mini. Unfortunately my entire Adobe collection of software will still be
> expecting a PPC to drive it, so I understand I will need an Intel machine
> which has access to Rosetta (even if that access is via a virtual instance of
> a "previous OS" somewhere on the hard drive.) Additionally, many of my
> peripherals are FireWire 400 (which I understand could also present some
> difficulties.)

Well as always it really depends on your budget.

Any iMac up to mid 2011 or so will work, even i5 or i7 models. The only
requirement is that you be able to run 10.6, for Rosetta. Standard advice is
always buy as much computer as you can possibly afford, because that gives you
the greatest future-proofing. Firewire 400 isn't an issue, since all you need
to connect a FW400 device to a FW800 port is an appropriate cable. Which is
less than 5$ at Monoprice
<http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030105&p_id=331&seq=1&format=2>

Perusing eBay I'm finding lots of Mac minis of the era at $350-$500. iMacs look
to be running $600-$800, for 20" ones.

Keep an eye on the LEM swaplist, these sorts of systems pop up regularly.

You DEFINITELY want to avoid a Core Duo model of any sort. those are
particularly crippled (Apple only ever made a few models of those, all first
gen Intel Macs.)

Heck, I'd even lok at Mac Pros, here's a good candidate for $400 :
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-A1186-MAC-PRO-DESKTOP-MA970LL-A-2008-4G-MEMORY-XEON-2-8GHZ-QUAD-CORE-320G-/171142382438?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item27d8e18366>

Shipping will be a pain, because these suckers are heavy, but Apple has left
behind a lot of Mac Pro models from current updates, so you can grab 'em pretty
cheap, relatively speaking.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are." B. Banzai, PhD

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.