1,1s can run Lion; mine does. TBH, a 1,1 is probably the best
price/performance deal. Mine came with dual-dual Xeons at 2.66, which gives
about 6k Geekbench with a platter hard drive, and cost $350. I upgraded to
dual-quad Xeons (also at 2.66) which brought me to 10k, and the CPUs were
$50 each.

Illirik Smirnov
Head of Congressional Debate -- Enloe High School Debate Team
Board Member, Enloe Gay/Straight Alliance
Quiz Bowl "A" Team

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Dale Hoffman <dh...@margnat.com> wrote:

> Bob,
> The MacPro 1,1 is stuck at OS 10.6.8.
> I'd try for something with more upgrade future.
> The new MacPros haven't hit the market place yet and folks might be
> getting worried about the new design shift to less internal expandability.
> Until then, the older MacPros might be at a premium.
> Dale
>
> On Oct 7, 2013, at 9:00 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:
>
> > I'm in the same boat as the OP, still using an eMac as my main computer,
> though I do have an intel macbook available for when I desperately need it.
>  I've been looking at used Mac Pros, as I am a bit tired of the
> non-upgradeability and repairability of the all-in-one designs.  Mac Pros
> are extremely rare on the local craigslist, and even the 1.1 versions
> generally want close to 1000 bucks.
> >
> > Is a 1.1 Mac Pro a viable choice, or is it too limiting?  I'd welcome
> any advice on what to look for in a Mac Pro, processors, video options,
> etc, as I have no experience with this class of machine.
> >
> > And is it better to buy from one of the used Mac dealers, or is
> craigslist or ebay the way to go?
> >
> > Any advice is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob