FIY,

I offered to convert it for Bruce tonight with my G3 running OS9 and Word
which is in my local network and I transfer files back and fourth on a
regular basis between it and my MBP running OSX 10.8.

Just for the heck of it I tried to open it on my Windows 7 PC at work with
Word 2010 and it opened fine (needed to disable some security settings in
Word).  I saved it as Word 97-2003 format and sent it back to him, he says
it looks great.

-Nick

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Bruce Ryan <bruce.r...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi g-listers
>
> My PhD thesis dates from 1996 and was created in MS Word 4 or 5. I've just
> had reason to look at this ancient history but can't do so satisfactorily.
> It doesn't open in my current version of Word (mac:2011). It will open in
> TextEdit: the text appears to be complete, as far as I can see, but the
> illustrations and indices to the footnotes (the references*) are gone, and
> there's a load of unreadable stuff following the text.
> *Chemistry at the time didn't use author-date/inline references.
>
> I can rescue the illustrations: they were created in ChemDraw 3 on one of
> my old macs, saved the files as EPS, copied them to my main mac and got the
> bits I need in Illustrator CS5. But I want to be sure where each one goes
> if I have to rebuild the thesis from the text rescued with TextEdit
>
> So, is there any way of opening the Word file. I have floppy-disk
> installers for MS Word 4 but my USB floppy drive won't read them. The
> hardware I have is
> 2008 Mac Pro running 10·8·5, with Adobe Creative Suite 5 and 5·5, and
> Office Mac 2011.
> 2010 MacBook Air running 10·8·5 - software as above
> Dell mini 10V running 10·6
> Powerbook G4 1GHz running 10·5, 10·4, 10·2 and 9·2. The 9·2 installation
> has PageMaker 6·5, InDesign 2 and ChemDraw 3
> Powerbook G3 Pismo running 10·4·11
>
> I guess the most likely route is to find an old mac with a built-in floppy
> drive, then install Word 4 on it. Then I could open the file for the thesis
> and use this to rebuild a version in a modern version of Word or InDesign.
> But I'm not so keep to buy yet another old mac just for this purpose. Can
> anyone suggest anything better, pretty please?
>
> thanks indeed
>
> Bruce
>
> --
> --