Adam,

My experience with g4u 2.3 is only with the copydisk command, but I
agree with Matt that performance can be variable. I've used g4u to copy
drives on several machines and the best performance I've had, so far,
with copydisk seems to be with two EIDE hard drives connected by IDE
cables to the motherboard (of a desktop computer.)

I have a Western Digital My Book that offers an external SATA (eSATA)
connection, and I finally got the right cable for that, and I suspect
that will offer very fast transfer times when I actually use it with
copydisk. But only one of my machines has a motherboard offering a
corresponding eSATA connector on the back of the unit and I've not yet
seen a laptop with eSATA.

For a laptop, transferring data with COPYDISK over USB 1.1 with 4200 rpm
drives and older processors can be really slow. I've had one case of a
24 hour transfer time, but all worked well.

I like using the Western Digital Passport drives over USB 2.0. They have
low power requirements, capacities are huge, and drive speeds are pretty
good.

I guess I would just be patient.

Thanks

Bob Cochran