Hi, Charles.
I'd say it is both. Without the skill to do high quality games no amount
of money or time will solve it. Without the time and money it becomes to
hard to put what skill is required to use.
As far as making a living off of it it would certainly be hard. One of
our major problems is marketing. Right now Audyssey list and mag is the
number one way to get the news out there. Audiogames.net etc help as well.
Problem is how do we as developers get our products out there so the
blind comunity as a whole can view it, try it, and see it. There are
blind people without computers, or have them and no online access.
As for designing them quickly it really depends on quality and number of
people. One or two people can make 1 or 2 games a year, but if you sell
it they then have to split the cash, and we are back to can't make a
living off of it if you don't have enough sales.