Hi Damien,
That is true. DirectX is better and easier to program with for games and
multimedia.  I think you are getting things confused do to your personal
lack of programming experience. So let me clarify things.
Let us say you are writing a game. You are going to want to use DirectX
for your graphics, sound, input handling, etc... However, DirectX may
not be all that is needed. Let us say you need some settings dialogs for
setting game settings etc... Then, you will likely need stuff from the
win32 API to build the dialog boxes and to save and restore games etc...
So in all what I am saying use DirectX in your C++ applications, but
there is still some Win32 stuff you may need in the game as well.