Here is how I would work it.  You're planning your moves, in real time.  As
you go from ship to ship, you scan and do all that--but it all takes time.
Then, if one ship gets into firing position, everything else stops and that
one ship becomes the focal point.  All you can do is fly by the seat of your
pants and fight.  When that ship's fighting is done, you either continue
commanding it, or in the event it is destroyed, you go to a nearby ship.
What if two engagements occur simultaneously?  You just fight out the first
battle and then once it's over go to the second ship's battle.
Yeah, I know, the ships couldn't interact.
Hmmmmmm
Well, I guess the battle would be sort of turn based, the enemy not being
able to fire till you're done or if you wait more than five secs to fire.
By the way, just imagine real time combat--you aim at a ship, and press 1
for phasers.  You hear a power-up sound, and when it gets to a desirable
high pitch, you hit space and nail 'em.  To launch torpedoes, just hit 2 for
photon and 3 for quantum--as many times as you want so you don't have to
stop combat to tell the computer how many to launch.
Well, this all sounds kinda stupid written down, but |I'll send it on
anyway--maybe you can get something useful out of it.

Ken Downey
President
DreamTechInteractive!

And,
Coming soon,
Blind Comfort!
The pleasant way to get a massage--no staring, just caring.