Hi tom.

well I don't mind generic fantasy concepts in games, but history and background can mean so much more. There are plenty of Eamon games (and others), which basically take the form of adventurer going into generic undergorund dungeon full of goblins, rats etc, grabbing treasure and getting out. i enjoy these for what they are, but I do feel I miss the history and it's certainly something that would add to the game for me considderably, likewise, a simply irect copy of lotr, say a game in which you entered a ruined dwarf city called mordin and fought a demon on a narrow bridge would be even less enjoyable than a generic underground dungeon with no explanation at all, since it'd would feel! like a cheap copy. This is in fact one reason I hate terry brooks, but his sword of shanara particularly, since the plot, the characters, the world, are so blatantly thefts from tolkien it's unbelievable. while I don't particularly wrate any of his other books either since they are pretty much standard D&D fair, (I found I could put a class on every character just by their description), Sword of shanara annoygs me particularly because it is such! a direct copy of tolkien.

As to the creative process, well to be honest I'm the other way around. Programming rather baffles me, but ideas for plots, settings, characters, ideas for game design come very easily to me for some reason as you might have noticed. indeed, if you would like to work on an rpg collaboratively in some form, let me know off list, (I also love writing history and background for fantasy kingdoms as well).

Beware the Grue!