Hi Charles,

Yes, I think starting with a simple roll playing game based in a
fantasy story or world you are familiar with would be the way to go.
As Dark pointed out usually all the rules, stats, and whatever is
handled by the game master anyway and isn't usually up to the player
to begin with. In this case any stats or rules would be handled by the
software and not by you just like as it would be in a side-scroller,
FPS, etc.

For example, lets say you are playing a Harry Potter game and Harry
and Draco decide to have a duel in the trophy room like in the first
book. Harry tries to stun Draco with his wand. Well, The game would
automatically roll the d20 die, and then add or subtract your skill
points to come up with the final score. Let's say your roll is 12 and
Draco rolls a 9. The damage to Draco is 3 and is  reduced from his
stamina. While all that sounds pretty complex remember that the game
is doing all this rolling, adding, and subtracting behind the scenes
so all you ever see from the game is something like this.

"Harry aims his wand at Draco, and it emits a bright green flash of
light. Draco yells in pain as he loses 3 stamina points."

See what I mean? All that complexity you are thinking of is primarily
specific to tabletop roll playing games like Dungeons and Dragons and
really doesn't apply to games like Sryth or Eamon that handles all the
game mechanics behind the scenes. I could tell you right now if I was
writing a roll playing game based on Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings
most of the complexity would be self-contained in the game software
itself. All you would have to do is make decisions like attack,
defend, or flee. :D