I'm thinking that this would be a game I would have to try. Not that I like only easily learned games, but having never encountered an RPG other than Dungeon and Dragons and one other that was sort of similar, I've figured that they are mostly along the same idea, and I have been mistaken. A simple RPG dealing with a subject matter I'm interested in, such as the Harry Potter or LOTR series, would be a good way to possibly start working with other role playing games.

--
If guns kill people, writing implements cause grammatical and spelling errors! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] LOTR Games was Children's Games

Hi Charles,

I don't think Dark or I was suggesting anything quite as complex as
you are talking about below. You are thinking of something like
Dungeons and Dragons, which is indeed pretty extensive, but a roll
playing game does not have to be nearly as complex and heavily based
on rules as that. In fact, the Aemon adventures, for example, only has
some very basic stats like health, melee rating, etc which is all you
need for a basic roll playing game. Plus what is nice about Aemon is
that unlike traditional interactive fiction the parser commands are
very simple and basic too. You type commands like get candle, use
candle, and drop candle which is about as basic as you can get. So
don't let the idea of a roll playing game make you think it has to be
some complex game that needs volumes and volumes of rules or a game
with a million different commands. It does not have to be that complex
at all.

What I was thinking was something more like a text adventure with
basic commands, perhaps a menu if people would like that better, where
you have a handful of stats like health, a melee/attack rating,
strength, whatever and would go on adventures and so on. It wouldn't
be nearly as complex as Dungeons and Dragons because it would be a
straight up adventure game more or less. However, unlike a straight up
text adventure you could pick a character to play which would have all
their stats already determined by the developer so there would be no
need to roll the dice and pick this skill or that skill before hand.

The problem I have with an RPG is the extensive set of rules. Those I have

encountered seem to have been so lengthy! I don't enjoy a game that uses a

large book of exceptions to a lengthy set of rules.  This is why I would
prefer a side scroller.  There would be room for exploration if the game
were designed, although I would think that it would quite an undertaking.