Hi Dark,

I take your point, and agree with it in principle. I would feel the
same way if someone took something like Star Trek and renamed all the
ships, technology, and alien races in order to avoid copyrights and by
doing so lose all the history, main characters, and pretty much
everything else that makes Star Trek Star Trek. In the same way just
using generic fantasy races, settings, etc from Lord of the Rings
would take away everything that makes Lord of the Rings what it is. So
clearly its a case of all or nothing, and I understand that perfectly
well.

Besides I'd prefer that anyway from a developer's point of view. Its a
lot easier to write a game when someone else has done all the hard
work creating the characters, history, language, and the world they
inhabit rather than to try and come up with all that from scratch.
/Its hard enough writing the game itself let alone spend months
perhaps years coming up with a story as interesting and as feature
filled as LOTR.

For example, it wouldn't have occurred to me to come up with a
storyline like the one you did with the wizards who sank their city
below the ground. Although, I can be a creative person at times I
don't think I could have came up with anything that original. It would
be easier IMO just to use the Mines of Moria as they are and use the
existing history and facts we know about them as a starting place for
an adventure for me at least.
In any case I agree. I'd rather have a completely new fantasy world,
or LOTR itself rather than some cheap copy. A cheap copy just wouldn't
be the same thing and would never live up to its potential.