In my opinion, it's kind of a bs response to say that screen readers
make audiogames.
Urban dead uses only the screen reader to give info. It's not an
audiogame. It's a game played with a screen reader. I mean, I just
don't understand why it's so important to call them audiogames, even
though you use a screen reader to play them.
You use your screen reader to use Windows, but it's not an audio
operating system.
I've basically lost the debate, mostly because there was literally no
chance to change things in this reguard, and I do think that our
developers should get their games out there in a wider range of gamer
venues.
I just think a line should be drawn. If the primary mechanic for
playing a game is audio, that game should be called an audiogame. Let
me be more specific:
If most of the game's interface is self-generated audio, that game is
an audiogame, not a videogame. If most of the game's interface is
textual, that game is a textual game. If most of the game's interface
is visual, that game is a videogame.
Just because a game can make use of a screen reader, which produces
audio, it isn't an audiogame. You could play the same game with a
braille display, which would make it a tactile game.
Audiogames.net could change. Maybe a mission statement written a
decade ago is no longer appropriate and no longer serves us in this
different day and age. Ten years may not seem all that long to some of
us, but ten years has seen developments like the iPhone, Android,
similar smartphone platforms which have radically changed our
perceptions on gaming. It has seen the advent of Steam and Origin,
immense game libraries available to the sighted world and unavailable
to us in any form. It has seen the development of enormously powerful
gaming consoles and computers which put anything we had ten years ago
to shame. Maybe, just maybe, since the sighted world is interested
more in game audio than ever before, we should be interested in giving
themcredit where credit is due and helping them continue to develop.
The problem we've found is that we want a current game to be
accessible. "Why can't I play the sims!" The answer is to make future
games accessible. Maybe a few big companies wouldn't try because we
give them credit for some accessibility innately included in the game,
but maybe they would find a way to incorporate that into their
operating procedure.
In my opinion, it's hypocritical to defend putting a text adventure on
a game audio site because the developer has chosen to support screen
readers, but to avidly deny putting up a major game, even though there
are accessible features in an inaccessible game, which are audio
based.

I wish, sincerely, that I was invited to talk, with the support of an
organization or group, to these developers, because I am sorely
saddened by the way they are often approached by our community. This
is outside the current topic in this thread, which is outside the
original idea of the thread, but it's something that I feel compelled
to say. We ask that a game title we see on shelves be expanded to
include accessibility, in most cases. In none of those cases will we
be granted our request, by any developer.
Devs, keep in mind adding in an enormous change to interface on a
whim. It isn't going to happen.
Then, let's consider what I've read we are asking for... what are we
asking for! We're not approaching the developers in a way that would
make them interested. We're not providing them ways to make sighted
people go "Hey neat" while we go "We can now play too."

Audiogames.net was originally conceived in an age where audyssey.org
was kind of not doing much of anything but hosting an email list.
There wasn't a complete collection of gaming links for the blind.
There wasn't a single forum site for discussion of those games, and
frankly this list is enormously high-traffic because it's an email
list, not a forum, and people are not usually on here because it's so
populated.
Now, audyssey.org is trying to get started again. PCSGames.com has an
enormous list of games. the list goes on. We could change. I just
don't think we will.

For my final word, I think that the drop down box isn't just easier to
use for folks with screen readers. What person is going to go to a
site, looking for audiogames, and instead of looking through the big,
in your face list, say "I think I'll search the site for audiogames
for only games with audio." The point is kind of silly, although I
understand that it's a sore spot due to the questions of those who
would rather ask on list than try using the tools they are given.
The list is right there. Everyone and anyone is going to use it.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard