Hi Decota.

I dont' mind you voicing such opinions, since free discussion is always welcome, but there are a few points you probably didn't considder.

Firstly, the way audiogames.net includes text games etc is not the responsability of myself, it actually began with richard and sander both of whome are fully sighted and who began the db back in 2004 and still remain officially webmasters of the site. it is not intended to exclude anyone, it's just intended as a method of putting all accessible games in one place.

second, i am afraid I simply do not agree with you that a game like alteraeon with oriol's soundpack is not! an audio game. lets take a simple example. Originally, Ian humphries programmed his cribbage game to be self voicing, to use voice files. he however realized that this took far more time and effort for little atmospheric bennifit, so rejiggered his games to use sapi instead, while keeping sounds and affects. his games also feature graphics and fully available on screen text, they just happen to output to sapi. Are they? audio games?

Now look at lone wolf. it can output to sapi, it has on screen text it has lots of sound effects, but it also can output to various screen readers. Is lone wolf an audio game?

My problem with your distinction is effectively if we removed every game that had a text component and every game that used sapi we'd pretty much have little to nothing left in the db. Remember, to a sighted player, lone wolf would be no more an audio game than any mud.

As regards Eamon deluxe, gamebooks etc, well as I said, people can quite freely search the db to exclude those results, the catagories are there if people will use them, and it seems unfair not to recognize the efforts of frank black, coops, and all the other devs who have altered there gamebooks and other peaces of software for screen reader access, and after all playing with sapi or an in built voice, much less on the iphone these are still audio games anyway.

audiogames.net seems a reasonable title for the site to me, since it applies to games that can be accessible with sound. it's not intended as an exclusion, indeed you'd be surprised how many sighted people we do get visiting the site from time to time, however there is such a complexity in defigning what an audio game actually is, I prefer myself to stick with the deffinition we have now. After all, any sighted person could use sapi to play jim's games or download nvda, or pick up an Iphone and turn on voice over to play a game like king of dragon pass if they so desired.

As I said, i do agree that no catagorization at all would be a bad thing, but the catagorization does xist if people just take the time to use it.

Beware the Grue!