Hi Dark,

I've got a few comments here I think need to be voiced as it seems you
and I have some serious intellectual differences in the way we view
economics and business in general, and I don't think it is possible to
have an intelligent discussion until those differences are voiced.

I know that you have a deep interest in philosophy and have a
doctorate in philosophical studies. As a result a lot of your comments
are theoretical discussions of ethics of what people should and should
not do, but shows a complete unawareness of the practical side of
business and economics in a capitalist society.

For example, you asked why audio books cost five to ten times the
print original even when purchased digitally. Well, in many cases
audio books, at least in the United States, aren't nearly that high. A
service like /Audible sells digital versions of audio books for only a
few dollars more than the print paperback or hardback book it is based
on. I don't think paying $5 extra for an accessible audio book is
anything serious to  complain about. If you are really paying five to
10 times for an audio book then perhaps you are getting them from the
wrong place. However, the basic reason audio books cost more than
print books is the company producing it has to pay the narrator
reading the book, they have to pay the sound engineers recording the
book, and they have to pay someone to do the post production of the
digital copy such as editing, mixing, etc.  If it is available on a
site like Audible they have to charge a bit for hard drive space to
store all their audio books as well as pay for bandwidth because every
internet download isn't free. Someone has to pay for the bandwidth and
transfer fees. Point being there are all kinds of costs involved in
converting that print book into a digital audio book which you have
not taken into consideration.

The point I want to make here is simply that all too often you voice
some very strong opinions towards companies essentially accusing them
for being greedy and immoral when not taking into consideration the
practical and very rational reasons for charging what they do for
their products and services. Often times in order for a company to
turn a profit they have to be able to pay all of their employees
salaries, health care benefits, as well as any other operating costs
which may effect the cost of the final product. That's just how it
works in business. You have to spend money to make money.

Anyway, as far as developers who want to be semi-professional or
professional appearing impersonal I disagree. I believe a person can
be quite professional while not being too impersonal if they want to
have that sort of image. After all, what exactly is considered
professional here?

To me being professional is developing stable software to the best of
my abilities and not selling my customers sloppily written and poorly
designed software. To me being professional is offering prompt email
or phone service for a product I sold them within reason of course.
Being professional might be kindly turning down a suggestion someone
gives without being mean or nasty about it. In other words to me being
professional is simply having good business ethics and has nothing to
do with being impersonal or aloof.

Of course, there is a big difference between the way a small business
like USA Games runs our business and the way someone like Nintendo,
Sony, or Capcom run their businesses. Major corporations like Sony,
Capcom, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc have millions of customers all over
the world. No one person can deal with the sheer number of customers
complaints, suggestions, questions, etc so they hire people to fulfill
those duties. Unfortunately, that does often result in the personnel
being impersonal, and unable to do anything about certain policies
like accessibility because you aren't speaking to the management
directly. With a company like USA Games most of the messages go
directly to myself or in the case of sales my wife might take over and
process the orders. However, since it is a company of two its not
difficult to reach the owner, yours truly, which makes a big
difference. Then again, I only expect to have maybe a thousand
customers tops instead of the millions that Nintendo, Sony, etc have
to deal with. Major difference there, and since I have less customers
to deal with I can afford to be on this list and chat with customers
directly.