Hi Charles,

Well, that certainly is one factor. Although, I haven't been blind my
entire life when I lost my sight I was shocked at the number of blind
people who have an entitlement complex and have a victim mentality.
Its possible it is because of this they assume that a developer should
just give them a game for free and if they don't they will simply
pirate it and claim justification because they are on a fixed income
whatever. However, that's not the whole story though.

As I indicated in another post yesterday there are a number of reasons
why people choose to pirate software. One is certainly cost. If they
don't have the money, can't afford it, for one reason or another they
obviously won't buy it. Due in part to exchange rates a game priced
reasonably at $25 in the U.S. will cost double or triple that in
places like South America. This is a problem because even if the
person would otherwise legally buy it the exchange rates between the
United States and certain countries drives the cost up beyond reason.
Another thing that causes piracy is trade embargos and restrictions
that prevents a U.S. company from selling to a person living in
certain countries. This is often a political decision on behalf of our
respective governments, and since it is illegal for a person living in
said country to purchase said software legally he resorts to piracy.
Finally, some people pirate software because of availability.
Sometimes developers don't offer demos of their software or the
software is hard to obtain legally. So piracy becomes an alternative
method for obtaining the software.

For example, lets use the Bavisoft games as an example here. Thanks to
the business model they use there is no way for an interested customer
to download and evaluate a demo of the games. They might choose to
download a pirated copy instead in order to decide if they want to
purchase a legal copy. Unfortunately, if they get the game for free
chances are they won't buy it because they have a full working copy
anyway. A case where a demo would have been worth Bavisoft's time to
create.

The point I want to make here there are all kinds of reasons for
pirating software and while I think entitlement is certainly part of
it its not the entire story. There are many other reasons to take in
account as well.