I guess the issue that I have is that 2/3 of the ships are cloaked, and they tend to annihilate whatever they go after in the first turn or two. This is especially true when they gang up on me. It also seems like all the ships (including the cardacions) criple my ships almost immediately (I just started a game, and in the first turn cardicia2 knocked out deep space 9's power). My current overall strategy is to send my uncloaked ships to the starbases, and have them act as protection while defiant goes in and knocks out enemy starbases. It seems to work pretty well, but I keep forgetting that checking sector location in non-federation space crashes the game, so I end up losing eventually. I'm also having some difficulty figuring out the map, because coordinates aren't displayed as easily as in something like trek2000.