Hi John,

If you are getting attacked like that it sounds to me like you aren't
using your sensors to their full effect. Long range sensors will help
you keep track of where any and all non-cloaked vessels are allowing
you to anticipate how close they are, when an attack is coming, and
you can adjust your ships' positions accordingly. Short range sensors
have the advantage of detecting cloaked vessels in your immediate
area. It will show up as a subspace anomaly of some kind and you can
pretty much figure out there is a Klingon or Romulan ship about to
decloak and attack you so you can use that info to your advantage. If
you aren't scanning each and every turn for each and every ship no
wonder you are getting jumped.

As for how sectors work in STFC they are squares of about 100 by 100
units with the letters A through J giving you your horizontal
position, and the numbers 1 through 10 giving you your vertical
position. So if you were in sector E-5 you would be in the center of
the starmap, or at least in the center sector.

I think what has you confused is in Trek 2000 it has a very simple
grid of 100 by 100 units. Each sector represents one single unit on
the map where in STFC a sector location is more like real space travel
with a sector covering 10 parsects of space rather than a single unit.
So at warp 9.7, maximum speed, it would take you about ten moves to
travel one sector or 10 parsects in the game universe. Does that make
sense?

Cheers!