Hi.

A couple of thoughts, and bare in mind I am not an advanced user.

Firstly, a client is what you connect to a mud with. Think of it like an internet brouser. You can't just view the internet on your computer without anything, you need a program to display the pages and perform other functions, whether that is internet explorer, firefox, safari or whatever. The web pages are out there on the internet, but you aren't going to get to visit them without a brouser to display them for you.

Once you have your brouser, you need the address of the page your going to, which is like the mud connection information, ie, the hostname and port number. For instance materiamagica.com port 4000. You can just type this into your mud client and your client will start displaying a mud.

As regards clients, I personally am a big fan of vipmud, even though i freely admit the manual isn't useful. The reason i suggest vipmud is that it has a very easy interface, you can just tab between the in put and output windows, and type stuff, and use functions like the find text feature to easily find say a keyword.

I'm not sure how it is with scripting, since I'm not really that advanced at scripting myself, but for basic playing it works well, provided that you set stuff like speech interupt etc, and that is all just in the speech menue.

I would also suggest you pick your mud carefully, since some muds are harder to play than others.

I'd strongly recommend trying alteraeon, and indeed the great soundpack for it. Alteraeon is highly newbie friendly, has directions to help you get around, and you don't need to monkey about with scripting or hiding text since the mud already does it for you. Oh, and if you use the mushclient soundpack you get basically a full on rpg as well.

All the best,