Hi Tom.

the problem, and the thing you and other developers don't seem to get, is that all the hip software upgrades and big number features in the world don't actually matter.

yes, I could probably get used to the new interface, and probably live without older games, but why should I?

Microsoft have created a system which does have a learning curve, especially in it's lack of personal customization, (had they included propper backwards compatibility and interface control that would've been different, but they haven't).

Myself, if you or other developers started! saying "look, this is a really cool feature that this game can use, like that tags idea and it comes with windows 8, here! is a good reason to upgrade" then I'd considder upgrading.

Why did I buy an iphone and get used to vo? because basically there were lots of fun things that I couldn't do with an xp laptop.

Back when windows 7 originally came out this is exactly what I expected would happen, and by this point in time I expected actually good reasons to upgrade, a hole bunch of games with newer and more interesting features that would be playable only on newer os, but they haven't appeared, indeed I can only think of one single audio game, airic the clerric which is windows 7 only, (and even that is being fixed).

Yes, this means for a while people won't buy your games that are using xp, ---- but as you pointed out yourself that is the risk of a new os, and if your so bothered about making the best games with these wondrous new things it shouldn't matter. Ultimately of course the fault is microsoft's, for creating a system which is utterly unattractive, which has a harder to learn interface, and offers nothing of practical use to the actual everyday vi user, however as you said yourself microsoft are out to make money so think creating something flashy will do to sucker people in, and bugger compatibility or personalisation, (and yes, I do blame them for this, since they have more than enough money to include whatever they like).

so, there is my principle challenge. Myself, I use my computer for media playback, writing, internet brousing and games. The first four I can do quite well already and have never heard that post xp windows does any better at them, (indeed since I'd still be using winamp the media playback would be exactly the same), however as I said with an iphone I was quite willing to switch for the, and if there were five detailed and major games only playable on post xp windows I'd switch myself, and likely others would as well.

beware the Grue!