The extent of Win8.1's support for older interfaces is to restore the Start
button. But the button, when pressed, still opens the Metro interface. A slight.

FWIW, I was (and in many ways still am) impressed by Win8 from a purely
keyboard-centric, productivity point of view. But the loss of hierarchical
menus really, really kills me. Even 7 has that, if you need to list all
programs.

As for who wins the user experience battle generally, well it's obvious, isn't
it? That's Apple! That's what they do! No sudden updates that completely change
everything for no good reason. Instead, high prices on the hardware, rampant
obsolescence, control freakery in the ecosystem, and a disrespect for the power
user (all the iOSification, for example).

Cheers,
Sabahattin