Hi Charles:

No kidding. $5 USD per page would be outrageously expensive to braille
a document and I know APH and other organizations don't charge that
much although buying a braille book, menu, etc from them is fairly
expensive.

However, thanks to technology though we can cut the cost to almost
nothing as far as documentation goes. This would not work with an
iPhone, but would be fine for Android is they could keep a text manual
or menu on a flash card that can easily be slid into any Android
smartphone or tablet and read with Talkback. If the company has a
website, which many do, they could simply have a menu or manual that
can be downloaded to your smartphone, tablet, or other portable device
and be just as accessible as a braille document.

The problem is the people who run businesses are still unaware of the
technology springing up around them. I wonder how many people are
walking around with an Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an
Apple iPhone and are clueless that both come with built in screen
readers for the blind?

 Until business owners are made aware of these things they can never
learn to make accessible documentation for us that is inexpensive
because for the average sighted Joe/Jane they still think in terms of
braille rather than the electronics we use. Most people are probably
unaware of the accessibility that come with many standard products.