Charlse your statement about R and "should" is entirely incorrect on this side of the Atlantic, I could make similar complaints about American accents hearing a d when there should be t and several other instances, accept that it would be extremely pedantic and narrow minded of me to claime that the way I speek was the way anything "should" be done all over the world or assume that my version of English was the only correct one.

likewise, you are flat wrong if you assume the short o of hot and the long a of heart are the same in Uk english. it depends upon whether your lips come forward to pronounce the O sound, or go back. In British accents they tend to be more forward, while in American accents they are back. This is why in an American accent a word like saw comes out closer to saaaa, where as in an English accent it is more nasal.

This I learnt from my singing teacher when we discussed the different methods of pronouncing vvowel sounds in different languages and accents.

Beware the grue!