Hi:

Regarding the issue of grade 2 braille I have heard some people say it
has caused them issues with spelling, but that could be just the fault
of the teacher or how braille was taught to that person. I know when I
was in school learning braille even though I learned to use grade 2
braille I was also expected to spell words letter by letter on
spelling tests and alike.

If we had a word like character I was expected to spell the word out
letter for letter. I was not aloud to use dot-5 ch, which would be
correct in braille, but not teach me how the word itself was suppose
to be spelled. So if other blind people were not getting that kind of
spelling reinforcement then it is no wonder they are poor spellers.