Hi Charles:

Yes and no. Certainly when looking at code braille is beneficial
because you can instantly feel if your formatting is correct, if you
have all the write syntax, function names are correctly spelled, etc.
However, there are ways to get the same information through speech,
and no it doesn't have to be  tedious to get the same info via speech
output.

To give you an example there is a program for Linux called Emacspeak.
What's so special about Emacspeak over most screen readers is it was
designed especially for programmers to speak information contextually
as a developer writes some code in C++, java, etc. If you indent a
line of code it will automatically announce indented 5 spaces, 10
spaces, 15 spaces, etc and tell you if it is or out of a certain block
of code. If you type a left brace it will tell you that you are
starting a new block and if it is one, two, or three levels deep in
the code. Same with a right brace. It will tell you that you have
ended block 1, block 2, or block 3 so you know you are programming
correctly without having to go back and review the screen. It can get
a bit verbose at the same time, but it works for me and is just as
good as the braille output.

Windows screen readers like Window-Eyes, Jaws, NVDA, etc aren't
necessarily as detailed, but can be configured to get the basic
information across easy enough. There are things like spacing, tab
indention, all punctuation, etc that can be enabled to get all the
essential info as one types the code or arrows through it via speech.
It is not as tedious as you might think. I'll agree it can be a bit
too verbose, but I think speech output is better than throwing down a
couple grand for a braille display to access the same info.

So once again we come back to the crux of the problem. Is braille so
benificial it is worth 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, 5,000, or more. Well, for
me it is not worth that kind of money to buy a braille display to
program. I can make do with speech for less money and put that money
towards a new computer, a new iPhone, a Windows upgrade, whatever and
still come out ahead. The value of that braille display is far less to
me than the cost to have it.