I agree on rereading messages Charlse, however as an interesting point, when you gave the example of 2, to, or too, Realspeak Daniel actually did distinguish between the various formulations quite nicely so that I knew instantly what you have meant.

Indeed, I've noticed that the over all spelling feedback of Daniel is better than Orphius was for a lot of words.

Of course, I suspect a degree of this, at least as far as reading preferences go, is to do with personal sensory perception.

I am synaesthesic, and preimarily work through a translation of sound into colour and sensation. My mum first taught me to read braille through use of phonics, indeed I still have a great love and admiration for the sound of language rather than it's other qualities, ---- I hate for example authors who write characters with unpronounceable names, or arythmic sentence structure.

I also have been learning music by ear for years, and am at the point now where I can quite successfully learn an Aria more quickly than a sighted person with written music, indeed when singing on stage in operatic scenes or even in the strictor forms of concerts it's actually a major advantage since everyone else has to put their music down and cope without it.

Several times you have talked about doing things by "The fingers" which likely implies that this is your primary mode of sensory input. You make a distinction between "Being read to by a machine or a person" and "reading yourself in braille" a distinction which to me seems meaningless and nonsensical since to me reading is apprehention of the voice and language, the letters are inconsequencial, indeed even when I do read braille myself I am more hearing the words than reading the letters (as well as seeing colours and feeling different sensations but lets not get into synaesthesia now).

This sensory distinction occurs with sighted people as well. Some people look at printed letters, others work by the entire page, others work by feelings and sensations, just as some people can skim read a page of printed text rapidly and apprehend it's meaning, others prefer to look carefully through single words.

It strikes me that while speech will appeal to people who ignore letters and have a natural propensity to audio, so braille will appeal to people who are more spacially or tactilly inclined. This is of course where having the ability to display and read braille as conveniently as speech would be an advantage since it would allow the choice of preferd methods of reading at different times, ---- as I have said myself, I'd much prefer to read novels in braille (if a human audio wasn't available), for all I'd rather have speech most of the time.

The problem however is people don't get the choice of using braille if they wish, since the practical and economic are just too major, and it is those ultimately which will doom braille, not any inherent inferiority in braille method itself.

BEware the Grue!