Hi tom.

I do appreciate that in theory, things will stop running on xp, and I can't run new versions, heck I'm still running ie8. The problem is that all the compatibility stuff hasn't yet made any practical difference. I've not found any websites, services, applications or things I want to use that require a better machine than I have. Fundamentally if there was some really good new feature of the updated windows media player, some websites or net games I wanted to play or something else in updates that I couldn't do with xp, I would indeed upgrade the system and get used to it.

Regarding security and hardware, well 64 bit actually is a bad thing for me since it ruins compatibility with dos programs, and once again nothing requires it. I can accept that the hardware might be more advanced, but that is of no bennifit to me personally if there is nothing I wish to do that requires it.

of course, this situation will not go on forever. I fully expect in several years there will be some awsome new features of new os that I will want to play with, some games or programs that I can't run on xp etc, indeed I'm quite amazed that this hasn't already come up. Back in 2007 when windows 7 was first produced I fully expected by around 2010 or 2011, there to be a lot of games, websites, new and inervative media playback and other peaces of software that I'd need better hardware or a new os for, making the hassle of learning the new interface, kicking out compatibility and mucking about with virtual machines and other things worth my time.

I'm actually amazed this hasn't happened yet, and despite the aspersions of certain individuals this is indeed why I have been so careful to research Windows 7 to the best of my ability and convenience.

As I said I fully expect this situation to change in the future, but at the moment it hasn't.

Beware the Grue!