Sport Entertainment would be accurate.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 2:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] professional wrestling - Re: The Psychology of First Person Shooters

Hi Charles,

I guess you said it yourself. You are a purest and are taking the term
wrestling too literally here. You are trying to compare pro wrestling
to another sport like football, basketball, bowling, etc when that
really is comparing two totally different things and trying to say
they should be equal.

What I mean by that is pro wrestling is not really a true sport in the
way something like football or baseball is because all of the matches
are fixed and scripted by the company to work into a larger storyline.
I think most pro wrestling fans are aware by now that many of the
matches are rehearsed and the winner is decided upon days possibly
weeks before the match is televised on TV. For that reason it is not a
true sport because it is purely for entertainment and there is no real
competition in it. Therefore it doesn't matter if people cheat or not
because it was all scripted before hand.

When you talk about bowling, basketball, baseball, whatever that is a
totally different situation. All of the games are about real honest
open competition between two teams. Therefore cheating does matter
because it is not contrived for the audiences benefit and cheating
really would be cheating in those sports.

So to get to the point if pro wrestling was really about competition
then I'd agree with you that cheating and people busting up furniture
should not be allowed, but it is not actually a sport. Everything you
see on TNA Impact, WWE Raw, WWE Smackdown, whatever is less about
competition than artistic stunt work as you pointed out in an earlier
message. If that is not wrestling in your opinion fine, but I believe
most fans of pro wrestling would tend to disagree with you as there
currently is no other term to describe it right now.

Yes, there are very legitimate wrestling holds and moves that are done, and

I am not ignoring them.  However, my point is that, to me, professional
sports should be just that; professional.  Throwing someone through
furniture or busting furniture across someone's head is not wrestling. If crossing the fowl line is not allowed in amateur bowling, it would also not

be allowed in professional bowling. Professional wrestlers should wrestle,

not do anything that is not wrestling. Maybe I am a purist, but shouldn't they stick to reasonable rules? If not, then the sport should be renamed to

better classify what is and is not allowed. I think that a lot of fighting

and illegal play should be clamped down on in a lot of professional sports.

The NHL and NBA are prime examples. If these athletes are in a professional

sport, they should be penalized for not being professionals.  If you put
your shoulder down and ram into someone who is in front of you who is a
defender, you should be called for charging rather then the defender charged

with blocking.  If you hit an opponent with a hockey stick, you should be
out of the game. They should act like, and be, professionals. You can have

a very entertaining hockey, basketball, or wrestling match even if you
follow the rules. Illegal and unnecessary violence, merely to keep the fans

interested, is not needed. If it is, then there's something wrong with this

picture.  I prefer seeing basketball rather than basketbrawl.

---