Shaun:

Well, there is a saying, "if there is a will there is a way," and I
have found that to be true most of the time. I don't think upgrading
is going to cause as much loss of games and applications as most
people seem to think. Yes, there will be issues with some games and
apps, that is bound to happen at some point, but I think you are
making a bigger deal out of compatibility issues than is really
warranted by this situation.

You have not specified here if you are talking about accessible games
or standard video games, but I can say that most video games will be
playable through emulators. I have already found a number of 32-bit
and 64-bit emulators that work fine with Windows 8.x, and play Atari,
NES, and SNES games. So right there I don't see those games having
compatibility issues.

As for text adventures like Infocom, ZCode, Tads, AGT, and so on again
there are plenty of Windows 8 compatible interpreters around. I can
use Winfrotz with Sapi to play all the classic ZCode games, and Tads32
works fine with Tads games. Agility for Windows plays a number of text
adventures in Windows 8 too.

The point being chill out. I think you are freaking out and making a
big deal out of nothing. Unless you can offer up some specific games
that won't work under Windows 8 or on a 64-bit platform we can look at
alternatives to make it work, but otherwise I think you are just
worrying unnecessarily over compatibility issues both real and
imagined.