Hi Dark again,

You said:
 My point on social events was simply that there were more factors involved
 especially with the popularity of games like monopoly. It is quite possible
 for a game series like mega man, which never even featured a score system to
 become extremely popular on mechanics alone, despite having no two player
 option or even the ability to compete, an audiogames example might be
 entombed. Indeed as an inveterate solo player myself who loves to explore
 game worlds, I tend to think that while social factors might explain appeal
 for some games, they don't for others.
(end of quote)

There is a different dynamic to human play versus solo play in a
multi-player environment, or solo play on a game designed solely for
solo play.  However, competition still exists.  One aspect of
Entombed, as least initially, was seeing how your score stacked up
against people on the leader board.  That feature seems to be disabled
now, but I know what you're saying.  My point is just that I believe
that games become social events due to good game design.  Also too, I
think one part of that design is a median point between simplistic
play and complex strategy.  For me Scrabble of Monopoly probably hit
the sweet spot in those regards.  Both as very mechanically simple:
roll dice, move, pay a penalty, gain a benefit, or buy property to
inflict benefits or penalties on others; or alternatively, take seven
tiles, play them on a board to get the most points and block your
opponents from getting more points.  While both are play-wise simple,
they are complex strategy wise and involve a lot more for a good
player than the simple play would suggest.  To use your example of
solo game, Entombed is similar.  On the face of it it is merely an a
kick down the door, kill the monster, take the loot game.  However,
there are strategic choices to make from the very beginning of the
game.  Do you play a more burly character race that will have more hp
and inflict more damage but be more limited in class choices, or do
you take a more flexible race that might be faster between attacks?
Do you keep your decent branch or do you go unarmed, sacrificing
perhaps accuracy for multiple attacks?  Do you explore every inch of
every floor looking for random equipment or prisoners to join to your
party, or do you just try to forge ahead?  Do you choose, for one last
example, to go through the goblin stronghold in hopes of getting the
goblin king's equipment, or do you opt for the mine works and the
elemental guardian?  Further, with Entombed, you also have the option
of taking subpar combinations of races, classes, etc, and trying to
make them work.  All of these give a certain flexibility to what in
essence, though it is well designed, is a pale imitation of muds or of
table top roleplaying games.  I think that there were a lot of good
design decisions made there.

Ok, I'm done for now:)  Again, always a pleasure debating with you.

Jeremy

--
In the fight between you and the world--back the world! Frank Zapa