Hello Nicol,

To begin with the latest versions of Python for Simbian OS can always
be found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pys60/
and if you have not already done so I'd swing by Sourceforge  and see
about getting a new sis setup package for Python. What you will want
is Python 2.5 or higher for s60 phones.

It sounds to me as though you grabbed a bad installer, and my
recommendation is to go to sourceforge and find the right sis file for
your phone, and one hopefully more up to date.

Cheers!