You may be right. But I will never abuse equipment to be sure that it is well built. The stories of knocking it off of a table, flinging it halfway across the room, all due to careless or rough handling make me cringe! I don't necessarily "baby" equipment, but I don't beat it to death, either. I have heard people bang on their laptop keyboards so hard that they seem to be trying to drive the keys through the bottom of the machines, and there is no reason to do that. Then, these same people complain about the flimsy way that they are made. I have told them that they broke the machine by abusing it.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "john" <jpcarnemo...@gmail.com>
To: "gamers" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] making things last

I'd like to testify to the fact that babying your hardware will not necessarily make it last longer. As with any piece of computer technology, do a little research and you'll see plenty of stories from people who have had gear break almost instantly, and just as many stories of people whose same equipment has lasted decades under heavy abuse. Just because you baby your gear doesn't mean it won't up and fail on you some random day; in fact, if you abuse your gear a bit (like major data centers do with their hard drives) you'll find out early if you've got a solid piece of hardware or not. I'm not saying you should throw your laptop off a building, but at least if you end up crashing into something with it and everything fails, you'll find out quickly that you got a lemon.