This is one reason why these days I decided to pay serious money for headphones sinse not only does this provide better quality but generally if you fork out for something better from a good make they'll last longer, or such is my experience anyway.

I now have just two sets of headphones, my set of sanheisa ear buds which cost me thirty pounds and lastanywhere between one or two years, but go with me everywere for my laptop or Iphone, and my very serious sanheisa ones which cost me close to 200 pounds, but lasted literally 8 years and are about as good sound quality wise as you will find. Indeed I recently had to replace these, (and in fact the headphones themselves till work it's just one of the pins in the frame that has snapped and they could probably be repared with the correct parts), with a set of sanheisa momentums which were again 250 pounds but I fully well expect to still be using them in at least 2020, even more so sinse the momentums come with a rather nice custom case , and the sound is even better quality than my previous sanheisas.

I admit i'm something of a sticler for sound,but there you go.

Beware the grue!