Actually John I sort of see your point here sinse it is rather too easy to miss understand the workings of a new peace of equipment.

My first seegate external drive had an inherent problem with the power lead. It was one of those plugs that slots together with the attachment for the correct country's pin arrangement. However I'd not seen plugs like this before, most things I'd bought had solid power leads manufactured for the usual Uk 3 pin adapter, (we have an extra earth wire in the Uk for electrical safety which many other countries don't).

However I couldn't get this dam lead to work properly at all, indeed I had to bind the two bits of it together with some elastic, which needed repeated adjusting. I just assumed it was bad design, sinse I'd never seen a plug like that one.

it failed completely two years later in 2012. Luckily I didn't lose anything sinse the external drive was my backup drive and my desktop computer was okay, however I wasn't keen on getting a drive with a similar design. When however I talked this over with my nice local computer shop they actually said that no, those slot in plugs shouldn't malfunction like that and I'd in fact been working with a dodgy drive for two years, and they stated See gate were a very reliable make (or at least should be). Sinse I trust their opinion, and sinse I wanted a new external drive asap, I did in fact buy a second (larger), See gate drive to act as my backup, which i am still using (actually I'll be doing another backup this evening with that drive).

I had supposed that what was effective a faulty model of power lead that I should've sent back, was just a quirk of bad design, which manifestly wasn't a good thing, so yes, I do see your point in trying to be as familiar as possible with equipment, especially important things like backup harddrives.

Beware the grue!