Well tom to be honest vary few devs have actually asked the users for sfx and voice.
And when it has happened it can go either of 2 ways.
1. you may have your stuff used and used fully or only used for that version then swapped for something else. Or simply your stuff is used and then used outside the project by others and ending up on some soundlib in one case or so I did stuff.
Or simply they will not be used.
I can see a few examples where thats happened to me to.
However thats not always the case I know realitysoftware will ask for sfx even encourages the practice of sound sharing. Some in the group even buy sounds to share within the group in fact I hear rumors of more sound packs. I have a large order of interface sounds I was schedualed to fill yesterday but will be doing it today.
Ofcause its a bonus for the contributer if you get a free game out of it.
Its even more gratifying when the thing is a success, is realeased and the dev keeps making sfx giving said contributer more work. Though at the same time once you have a reasonable pool of sounds you souldn't need to rely on contributers all the time. Since the early days of reality software my work has shrunk to small projects from time to time I have to upload 2-6gb sound dumps but that doesn't happen often. And thats good the dumps take space and take ages to upload sometimes it takes me days to sort out required sounds for upload.