Just for a little balancing opinion here.  I've been playing Alter for
10 years now.  I have phases where I go play other things, or get busy
rl, but I usually come back.

I've found the easiest two ways for me to get re-interested in playing
are to either a. start a new character from scratch with new classes
or old classes with new abilities or b. find a few friends who'd be
willing to play at the level of the character I want to develop.

Both of these help to kill the I've not gotten anywhere bug.

At higher levels, if you have limited time or are not interested in
the sort of high tension high angst player interaction, Alter can be
grinding.  The need for fame, better eq, and more exp can feel like a
never ending cycle.  Jobs have helped somewhat with this, as have a
number of other changes.

One thing to keep in mind about Alter it has two coders: Dentin who
does what he can when he can (He's had an eventful rl year, and so
hasn't been able to contribute as much) and Shadowfax who is still
learning how the code works (he also has had an eventful year).  This
limits how fast changes can be made.  In Terms of world builders there
are essentially three full time builders and a number of part timers.
All of the staff are volunteers and have things that interfere so the
game doesn't always get the sort of attention all players would like.

That said, the game improved from 2005 to 2010 immensely, and since
2010 it's hardly the same game.  There's been a number of issues with
the newbie experience cleared up, the classes have been given many
more abilities and over all are well balanced.  I take issue with the
accusation that classes are not balanced, and I'll attribute that to
the opiner's lack of experience.  One can be successful on Alter with
almost any class combo depending on how you approach it.  Some combos
take much more work or preparation to make effective, but they're all
valid and all work.

As to the rp issue.  If you want rp on Alter there's a very simple
solution: collect a bunch  of friends and strangers who want rp.
Found an rp only clan.  Within your clan in your clan groups and clan
runs rp as much as you like.  That way you get what you want from the
game, but you don't bother the rest of the player base.  When I first
began the game I roleplayed being female for a number of years so that
I could indulge in rp, but not bother other players.  It worked well.
I've known at least one woman who has done the reverse.  I know one
blind player who has rped as a sighted player.

Alter will never be a PVP paradise.  It will never be a RP paradise.
However, of all the muds I've tried, it has the best help system, the
best support from staff, and the best support from higher level
players who genuinely try to help new players.  The multi class system
works well, and if a player truly catastrophically feels they aren't
getting anywhere they can reset, build a new char, or work at
releveling an existing char to correct such issues.

Ok, i'm climbing down off my soap box.  I was just seeing a lot of
criticism, some of which is fair if you accept the person's premises,
and some of which I felt was somewhat negative without sufficient
reason.  Alter is not perfect by any means, but given its limitations,
I think it's one of the better options around.

Take care,

Jeremy

--
In the fight between you and the world--back the world! Frank Zapa