Hi Niko,
Well, in the event you were flying on dragons or you needed a truly 3D
maze such as going up staircases etc you might want a 3D array to store
the entire game level. Though the math and coding involved  is just
slightly more complex going 3D. With 2D some trig functions can serve
pretty well  but as you add extra demmentions to the game the math skill
goes up some.
However, staircases can be faked. You can have a staircase item in your
array and when you cross it load a new level which represents a new
floor in 2D space rather than an actual complete 3D maze.
Some games do need 3D complexity if you have different levels with in
the same level of the game. Such as if you have to climb up or jump on
to a platform to get to where you want to go.