Hi Charles,
For the widest possible number of machines an app in C++ using the Win32
API and DirectX 8 or 9 would do it.
The reason is the Win32 API is the very core of the Windows os. Dll
files like user32.dll, kernal32.dll, etc have been around for ages and
have simply been upgraded as each new version of Windows came out.  That
doesn't change much from version to version, even when it is upgraded
for say Vista it is largely backward compatible with Windows 2000 XP and
to some degree even the older 9x versions.
So if I wrote a game using the Windows Platform SDK for Windows XP I
could easily reach Win 2000 and Vista without allot of differences in
those libs. Not that I am immediately aware of at any rate.