Hi Shaun,
Ahem... Not everything is going .Net though Microsoft is really pushing
the technology. yes, it is true it is becoming more and more
standardised, but by no means will everything go .Net.
As far as C++ being hard or old that isn't as bad as you think. C++ is
used by every os for development, and I don't see it going away anytime
in the next several years. The Win32 API is still the core component for
Windows development under Vista, and I have heard no announcements
Microsoft will be changing it.
As for going back to VB 6 no way. Using a language that Microsoft is
dropping next year for a new product would be insanity. Using C++
however is fine since it is supported, and will be supported for years
to come.