Hi Brandon,

First, how did she become a jedie knight?
End quote

That is a long story, comprising of several Star Wars books, but the
basic short story goes like this.
When Mara was 8 The Emperor had picked her to be one of his Sith
students he called the Emperor's Hand.  We later found out that the
Emperor had Several Emperor's Hands, and none of them knew about the
others. In any case from ages 8 to 18 Emperor Palpatine trained Mara as
a Sith aprentiss.
Beginning in Heir to the Empire, five years after Return of the Jedi,
Mara and Luke are thrown together by accident to help stop Grand Admiral
Thrawn and a new dark Jedi named C'bouth. When it all is said and done
Luke presents Mara with his old light saber, the one that had been his
fathers, and it is assumed she will become a Jedi.
In the Jedi Academy triligy Mara Jade litterally shows up at the Jedi
base in a Z-95 Head Hunter and personally asks Luke to begin training
her as a Jedi.
Years pass by in the books with Mara making guest appearances here and
there, and she finally is added as a core character in Star Wars Unity.
In short that is the one where Luke and Mara fall in love, get married,
and she becomes a Jedi Master.
 From Vector Prime on Mara remains a central character to the Star Wars
Universe until Jacen Solo murders her in book six or seven in the Legacy
series. Needless to say I was really peed off when I read that book. All
I can say at least she went down fighting like a true Jedi.

Second, how did she get a new ship, i thought jade flew the empers hand?
End quote

Mara never had a ship called the Emperor's Hand. That was her title
given to her by the late Emperor before his death.
However, Mara has owned and flown several ships in the books, and I
don't think I could name them all. Basically, she has flown  fighters
like Z-95 Head Hunters, X-Wings, and had some personal ships like the
Jade's Fire Jade's Saber, andJade's Shadow.
As for the Jade's Fire it was a Personal Luxury Yacht 3000 called the
Winning Gamble given to her by Sansia Bardin after Mara rescued her from
slavers. After taking over the ship Mara named it the Jade's Fire and
added some cool additions like the ability to automatically fire upon an
attacking ship. It gets some good coverage in the Corellian triligy.

Hth.