Hi,
Yes, Vader definitly took much more than a spark before he died, but all
Star Wars fans believe it was the Emperor's attack that killed him and
destroyed his life support system.
I can remember when I was sighted how that final seen went down. Vader
is on his knees, wires hanging out of his right arm where Luke had
chopped it off at the wrist, and Palpatine starts smiling and laughing.
Then he tries to taunt Luke into killing Vader. That's when Luke turns
to face Emperor Palpatine, switches off his light saber, tosses it at
the Emperor, and throws what equals a Jedi temper tantrem or heroism
depending on how you want to view the seen.
I love the look of hate and anger that comes over Palpatine's face.
Then, he delivers the final line in  the movie. "So be it, Jedi."
He then points his raised hands at Luke and knocks him flat on his back
with a wave of force lightning. After cooking Luke a few seconds, he
pauses, and plans to deliver the final killing blow when he unleashes
some wicked lightning. Vader reaches up with his left hand and grabs the
Emperor by his robes, and Palpatine is turned in his Thrown to direct
the lightning directly at Vader which cooks Vader pretty darn good. Just
then Vader tosses Palpatine head long into the reactor core where the
Emperor explodes into blue-green light. Good riddance to Sith scum.