Hello gamers,
For about a month or so I have been doing research for USA Games on how
to expand our future titles to target Mac, Linux, and Windows operating
systems all at the same time. While my research isn't complete I do have
some options on how I might actually target all three major operating
systems at once. If research is successful I would like to convert all
of the existing Raceway code over to a non-Windows specific language so
I can support Mac, Linux, and Windows all at the same time. There are
advantages and disadvantages to doing this which I would like to point
out below.
The obvious major advantage would be that no longer would a gamer have
to be running Windows x to play accessible games like Raceway. Weather
you use Mac, Linux, or Windows as your favorite os of choice you can
play Raceway and future USA Games titles using the same technology.
IN addition operating systems such as Linux with little to no high
quality accessible games would be an equally powerful accessible gaming
platform. Since Linux OS is free and my games are pretty cheap by most
currancy standards it would save gamers money if they chose it as their
gaming platform.
One other advantage of going multiplatform in general that I think would
be good for this comunity is platform independant networked games.
Everyone who plays Rail Racer says that the online racing aspect is the
high point of the game. Now, imagine taking that idea, build it using
Java's excelant platform independant networking API, and play against
blind players on any operating system out there. You might be running
Windows Vista while the guy you are racing against is on Linux or Mac.
However, there are a few pit falls and disadvantages I'd like to mention
which I think should be addressed here.
First, to insure maximum platform independence I would not likely be
using DirectX as the multimedia API of choice. As a result some of the
features of Raceway that were promised like force feedback stearing
wheels, would have to be dropped in favor of using more generic and
universal input devices like mice and keyboards with universal keyboard
standards. This won't likely go down well with Raceway fans hoping for
these features.
Second, is the question of speech output. Every operating system has its
own unique way of presenting text to speech. For Windows it is done
through Microsoft Speech API 5 and on say Linux the Gnome-Speech API
handles things like tts for applications. Obviously, making specific
wrappers for each
 operating systems tts is time consuming and difficult. The more logical
thing would be to use wav samples of speech like many other accessible
games do That would be platform independant, but increase the size of
the games quite a bit, and could cutdown performence.
One option I have if I pick Java is include the Free TTS engine in with
my games. The problem with that approach is that the voice is very
robotic and sounds like Robby the Robot  on crack. Though, it would
offer the possability to create built in chat clients and other platform
independant gaming tools that requires a tts engine.
One thing about Raceway that bothers me is the custom driver feature.
While it is no sweat to have a language like Java read a list of custom
drivers from an xml file it wouldn't work if all the voice clips are wav
files. To pull that off you need something like Gnome-Speech, Sapi, etc
to read any updates or changes to the game made outside the factory
defaults. Either that or Free TTS which sounds terrible. in the end I
might have to cut out that feature which some customers might not like
as well.
As a developer I am really torn by what I want to do, and what is good
for the game. I know many of you had requested features, suggestions,
etc that if I stick with Windows is all very possible. However, I've
been on the orca mailing list for Linux, seen recent Mac posts on this
list, and I can clearly see that multiplatform games are beginning to be
in demand. I think it is time that accesible game developers  begin
thinking about the possability of making games truly accessible to all.
Rather than just an elite group of Windows users.
How would you feel about games like USA Raceway, STFC, etc going
multiplatform? Since STFC 2.0 is still in early production I should have
no issues converting the existing code to Java, Python, or something
else once I decide on what I need to do to make all this happen. Raceway
is obviously further along, but the basic logic is done, and just needs
converted from C-Sharp to whatever language I choose so no big deal
there. Just will take a month or two extra to convert and test what I
have written already.
I am looking forward to any thoughts, comments, or suggestions you have
about this possability.