Hi Corry and all,
Unfortunately, adding Windows specific features in the Windows version
and cutting them out for other operating systems is rather a painful and
time consuming process. Kind of defeats making it cross platform
considering the work involved trying to support multiple game APIs.
Every operating system has its own way of doing things for tts, keyboard
input, mouse input, etc for games. The way to avoid that is by using an
open source cross platform API like SDL, OpenAL, etc which has been
created by the developers for this very specific purpose to make games
on multiple operating systems. However, APIs like SDL is not exactly as
full featured as DirectX, but can be used by C++ and Python developers
to achieve cross platform games.
In addition to what I said above some languages like Java have no
support for joystick and force feedback devices. Java can render the 3D
audio, support keyboard and mouse input, etc but there will be afew
Windows specific features that would not work under Java, and requires a
language like C++ or Python to support.