Hi Josh,

My only concern with that line of thinking is this. What happens when
microsoft drops support for direct-x8 on one of its newer operating systems,
and then all of your games become unplayable? Then I'm certain you will be
receiving lots of complaints to update your games.
End quote

Well, fortunately for the blind gaming community DirectX 8 support is
going to be supported through the Windows Vista life cycle so no worry
about this happening any time in the near future. The only catch 22 is
that the DirectX 8 that is intigrated into Vista doesn't include
dx8vb.dll which needs to be installed and registered with the os
separately which is not difficult but bites seeing that the majority of
accessible games require that dll file.
Right now officially DirectX 8 has been removed from the DirectX SDK
releases, but the backward compatibility runtimes are still installed on
Vista to maintain backward compatibility with PC games that still use
the technology.

Also, there may even be software that could nearly automate the
process of updating your vb6 code up to vb2008 code. I don't know about that
one though.
End quote

There is. Visual Basic Express has an import wizard. It attempts to
update older Visual Basic programs to Visual Basic 2008. Obviously, the
process is much smoother if the app is written with VB 2003 or VB 2005,
but it can import some VB 6 stuff to VB 2008. However, with a language
that old the update process is far from perfect and there could still be
a lot of hand coding involved in the process. I'd dare say doing it
manually probably would be better in the long run.