Hi all

  As for being able to play an opponent over the net I think it's a great
idea and have even done a few times with Sound RTS but still would like more
chances.
  I think the difficulty as has been said is the way it is implimented.
  The suggestion Thomas had of taking turns such as in the Atari games would
certainly work fine as the controls could pass between the players.  This
would enable two or more people to play on one computer.  Which was I
believe what Nicol was attempting to get at.
Playing over a lan works fine as the sounds and other info can be conveyed
to both players without any interuption of either persons tactics,
instructions or whatever.
  I think it also as was pointed out depends on the game being played.
Granted for a board or card game taking turns is certainly all right.  For
games where one plays their life then gives the controller over to player
two that also works.
  The crux of the matter is simultainious play of certain genres of games in
a way that [and I don't think it matters if there are two players working
together or against each other] in hearing what's going on and of course not
hearing the particular things you should not here.
  The idea of two sound cards with headphones could work and I'm not sure
how difficult that would prove to program into a game.  One other
consideration is of course how many of us are with someone who we would
challenge to a game of whatever to make the investment of hardware and such
worth it.  Regardless of the cost of the game the additional equipment would
probably be a consideration.

Ron